Frames

Hans Fugal hans at fugal.net
Sun Mar 12 06:54:07 MST 2006

On Sun, 12 Mar 2006 at 04:13 -0700, Daniel C. wrote:
> Why is the use of frames such a big deal to so many people?  I really
> don't get it.  Have you even looked at a running forum to get an idea
> of what you'd be dealing with?  Or did you just see the word "frames"
> in the feature list and make your decision based on that?

I have no opinion on the BB issue, but I do have opinions about frames.

Some of the reasons I hate frames:

- frames sites are almost always too big for my browser and I end up
  having to hscroll. I hate hscrolling
- most of the stuff in most of the frames I want to see rarely, but it
  takes up about half the available space and makes the main content too
  small or hard to read.
- the wrong frame always has focus and space/pgup/pgdn/up/dn don't work.
  I hate mousing.
- I fling URLs around like a basketball team player, and my preferred
  method is to hit cmd-l to get the URL selected, hit cmd-c to copy,
  cmd-tab to switch to where I'm flinging, and cmd-v to paste. This is
  very efficient, until a stupid frames site comes along and I get the
  URL to the main page which is almost worthless. There's the mouse
  again.
- people who still use frames generally are poor designers anyway so
  it's a vicious cycle.

and last but not least

- fr4m3z are so 14m3. C55 i5 teh b0mb

--