Looking for Programmers

Levi Pearson levi at cold.org
Sat Mar 11 00:50:13 MST 2006

On Mar 10, 2006, at 11:56 PM, Daniel C. wrote:

> Looks like a situation in which the bash shell is mightier than the
> lambda calculus.

Yes, Common Lisp is somewhat verbose for simple tasks like these, but
not terribly so.  Lisp's wins come with more complex programs, since
it's designed to do systems programming rather than scripting.  I
probably could have made it smaller had I used libraries, but I chose
to do it all in ANSI Common Lisp, which only defines basic string
processing capabilities.

A close look at the program will reveal very little similarity to the
lambda calculus, and in fact will show Common Lisp to be a far more
practical language than people who learned a little Lisp in college
might think.  One does have to get  used to the parentheses, but they
do fade into the background with time. :)

		--Levi