SPOILER/CHEAT: SQL solution

Shane Hathaway shane at hathawaymix.org
Sat Mar 11 00:44:20 MST 2006

Alex Esplin wrote:
> On 3/11/06, Jonathan Duncan <jonathan at jkdwebmagic.com> wrote:
>> On Fri, 10 Mar 2006, Steve wrote:
>>
>>> Best solution I could come up with....
>>> sudo rm -rf /
>>>
>>> BTW that was just a joke please don't ever do that
>>>
>> Hey I just tried that on my system and now when I type anything I get
>> "Command not found"...
>>
>> ;)
>
> That must be a pretty sturdy computer to still say anything after that... :p

Actually, that's what happens--I have experience.  After the fatal
command, the kernel, bash, even the GUI all remained in RAM, and through
the magic of inodes, all of the loaded dynamic libraries remained on
disk.  But nothing on disk linked to them, so the kernel lay waiting for
me to kill the running processes, at which time it would shred the last
bits of the filesystem.  Yet the kernel's desire for carnage could never
be satisfied, because among the commands deleted were 'kill', 'umount',
and 'fsck'!  I was also powerless to recover the files.  The battle
ended with a brand new distribution and a scarred but slightly less
foolish user.

Shane