Looking for Programmers

Bryan Sant bryan.sant at gmail.com
Fri Mar 10 15:36:33 MST 2006

On 3/10/06, Sasha Pachev <sasha at asksasha.com> wrote:
> Here is the test:
>
> * locate a dictionary of English words ( many Linux systems have it in
> /usr/dict/words)
>
>   * write a program in the language of your choice that will output a list of
> unique words and their counts found in an arbitrary file (given as an argument
> to your program) that are also present in the English dictionary. Write two
> versions of the program: one that requires the minimum development time on your
> part, and one that executes as fast as possible. Benchmark both versions.

Can I post my solution to the problem in Java?  Or would this give
away the answer to those taking the real test who have to implementing
the problem in PHP?

I wrote the "quick and dirty solution" in beanshell (a java-based
scripting language) and then a "high performance" version in real
Java.  I think it would be interesting to post solutions to this
problem in different langs and see how everyone does it with their
lang of choice.  How many LOC it takes, how fast it is, etc.

Perl?  C?  Ruby? Python? C#?

Anyone else think this would be interesting?

-Bryan