AuthType Digest and Internet Explorer

Andrew Hunter andrewm_hunter at froghunters.com
Fri Mar 10 09:10:52 MST 2006

Hi to all.  I am trying to use an .htaccess file with AuthType Digest in a
particular directory my server.  The server is running Apache 1.3.33 on
FreeBSD 4.7.  When I go to the protected page via browser, I get the
expected username and password dialog.  When I go with Internet Explorer
(apparently some folks still use that!) it just gives the generic "The page
cannot be displayed".  Any ideas on what the problem might be?

I have encountered only one possibility so far.  In the doc at
http://httpd.apache.org/docs/1.3/howto/auth.html#digest, it says:

"Digest authentication is implemented by the module mod_auth_digest. There
is an older module, mod_digest, which implemented an older version of the
digest authentication specification, but which will probably not work with
newer browsers."

When I go to my httpd.conf file, I have no module, commented or not, called
mod_auth_digest.  I have enabled mod_digest.  Is this likely to be the
problem?  If so, how might I add that module?  Thanks--

Andrew