Linux modules question

Charles Curley charlescurley at charlescurley.com
Thu Mar 9 15:54:54 MST 2006

On Thu, Mar 09, 2006 at 08:34:33AM -0700, Andrew Jorgensen wrote:
> I have one of those USB phone handsets.  It's a usb-audio device and
> an HID device (with an LCD display even ;-).

> So the question is: What gives?  Presuming I want the generic driver
> to also be present (for other devices) is there no way around this?
> Who's fault is it?  udev? the kernel?  I'm using Ubuntu Dapper
> (development).  They don't use hotplug anymore, only udev.

It's udev's issue. udev is very poorly documented, alas.

Basically you need to cobble together a definition for your device,
and set udev to load it under certain circumstances, i.e. when the
device is inserted into the USB plug.

You put that definition ahead of the generic definitions so it is
examined first. And you do that by how you name the file.

If another HID device is inserted, your definition (being narrow
enough to only fit your device) fails, and udev continues on to find
the generic HID device. No worries.