Forum/Bulletin Board Recommendations?

Tyler Strickland tyler at tylers.org
Wed Mar 8 22:03:11 MST 2006

On 03/08/2006 12:13 PM, Kip Lawrence wrote:
> I have been using vBulletin for a while now and have been really
> impressed. It is really easy to use/set up. Its plugin in system is
> really nice. I haven't had any security problems yet... ;-)

I ran a vBulletin install for a fairly high-traffic site and was overall
OK with the design, though our staff programmers did _not_like the way
it was built (and they knew their stuff).  Just be aware, though, that
vBulletin has an issue with creating a lot of forums within one system.
That's not an issue for most people, but it was for us since our CEO
decided that he knew exactly what people wanted to talk about - and
created 1000 forums on one site.  But my beefs with him are another
issue altogether. :)

One thing I didn't like much about the design, though was that the
upgrades were incremental - if you have version 2.1 and you need to
upgrade to version 2.6, you have to do 2.1 -> 2.2 -> 2.3 -> 2.4 -> 2.5
-> 2.6.

An OK piece of software.  I'd have switched off it in a second, though,
for a good open source alternative.

--Tyler