Forum/Bulletin Board Recommendations?

Jonathan Duncan jonathan at jkdwebmagic.com
Wed Mar 8 21:50:26 MST 2006

On Wed, 8 Mar 2006, Kimball Larsen wrote:

> I'm looking for a good forum style thingie to set up, and would like to know
> what everyone recommends.
>
> So far, I've poked into:
> PHPBB[1]
> VBulletin[2]
> KBoard[3]
>
> I'm not really sure what my requirements are, other than that I would prefer
> it to be written in PHP and use MySQL, but I'm open to other options.  I
> guess I'm wondering what everyone else out there has used, and why they liked
> it.
>
> Thanks!
>
> -- Kimball

I use phpBB and despite the frightening reports of security breaches, it
is a very good system, imho.  The phpBB development team usually has fixes
very quickly for any problems.  I personally would not mind if they took
what they know about forums and started from scratch and made something
that is XHTML and CSS 2.0 compliant.  However, it is a fine product with
an enormous and responsive community.

Where you are using it internally, security should not be a concern, and
if it is, you need to rethink who you are hiring.

Jonathan