Forum/Bulletin Board Recommendations?

Jeff Schroeder jeff at neobox.net
Wed Mar 8 11:39:39 MST 2006

Doran wrote:

> But, recently we had a client who had phpBB and was concerned that it
> was RIDDLED with security issues. We did some research and
> recommended:

I second that-- I've had several clients using phpBB and they were all
cracked using well-known exploits.  The package itself is actually
quite nice, easy to install, and very popular, but there have been
repeated security problems.  Unless you're willing to always stay atop
the latest patches  and watch for newsgroup postings about new security
holes, I'd recommend against using phpBB.

I've been responsible for maintaining an installation of Phorum
(http://phorum.org) and found it to be a piece of junk.  The
configuration files are non-intuitive, the way it handles certain
things is non-sensical, and we found we couldn't upgrade the 4.x
installation to the new 5.0 version because we'd lose all of our
attachments!  Since we had about 10GB of attachments, that was
unacceptable and we migrated to...

vBulletin, which is NOT free software.  It's open-source, in a way,
because when you buy a license you get the PHP code and can hack it
however you want.  The license isn't too expensive, and the software is
very nice.  It's highly customizable-- all using CSS and database
changes-- and includes extras to migrate from Phorum and (IIRC) phpBB.

HTH,
Jeff