JBoss: Windows vs Linux and a Solaris boot issue

Bryan Sant bryan.sant at gmail.com
Wed Mar 8 11:25:25 MST 2006

On 3/7/06, Shane Hathaway <shane at hathawaymix.org> wrote:
> Here's one more thing to look at: DNS lookups.  I've been bitten by this
> before.  Linux may be hitting the name servers more often than Windows,
> and perhaps the delay occurs while you're waiting for a response.  So do
> whatever you can to eliminate possible delays caused by name service
> lookups.  Put all of the host names in /etc/hosts, tweak
> /etc/resolv.conf to point to a DNS cache, and as a last resort, connect
> by IP address rather than by name.
>
> Sometimes name lookups even occur at times you don't expect, like when
> opening an X11 window.  Use the tcpdump utility, or verbose logging on
> the DNS cache service, to find out what names are being looked up.
>
> Shane

Amen brother.  I've had this problem far too many times too.  That's a
great thing to check.

Windows will use it's internal name resolution mechanism to lookup a
name.  That is local name cache, lmhosts, hosts, WINS server, name
server, and NetBIOS broadcast.  Linux will look at hosts, and then dns
(and may do more depending on what's configured in
/etc/nsswitch.conf).  If you have samba installed on your Linux
machine you can add "wins" to the end of your "hosts:" line in
/etc/nsswitch.conf and Linux will now do NetBIOS broadcast lookups for
a Windows computer "name" just like Windows does.  The better solution
though is to do what Shane suggested and make sure that all of the
systems you reference by name are in the /etc/hosts file (your MSSQL
2000 server for example).  Name resolution delay may indeed be the
problem.  What does your JDBC connect URL look like?

-Bryan