JBoss: Windows vs Linux and a Solaris boot issue

Shane Hathaway shane at hathawaymix.org
Tue Mar 7 20:01:39 MST 2006

Ryan Bowman wrote:
> We'll have to try this.
>
> Thanks for your help and advice.  Hopefully we'll get more time to
> look into this.

Here's one more thing to look at: DNS lookups.  I've been bitten by this
before.  Linux may be hitting the name servers more often than Windows,
and perhaps the delay occurs while you're waiting for a response.  So do
whatever you can to eliminate possible delays caused by name service
lookups.  Put all of the host names in /etc/hosts, tweak
/etc/resolv.conf to point to a DNS cache, and as a last resort, connect
by IP address rather than by name.

Sometimes name lookups even occur at times you don't expect, like when
opening an X11 window.  Use the tcpdump utility, or verbose logging on
the DNS cache service, to find out what names are being looked up.

Shane