PHP broke :(

Stephen Ward sjward at gmail.com
Tue Mar 7 13:41:49 MST 2006

> Most likely you were upgraded to version 5.  Try emerge mod_php -av

That doesn't seem to be the problem.  Here's a portion of the output
on "emerge mod_php -av":

Calculating dependencies ...done!
[ebuild   R   ] dev-php/mod_php-4.4.0-r9 ...

> Have you run revdep-rebuild?

I gave that a shot just now and here are the last few lines of output:

Calculating dependencies ...done!
[ebuild   R   ] dev-python/gnome-python-extras-2.10.2

Nothing about PHP.  Just gnome-python-extras. :(

> Try "emerge -p --depclean | grep -i php" in particular.

That command resulted in zero output.

> BTW, use dispatch-conf rather than etc-update.  dispatch-conf
automatically keeps a record of changes.

Cool.  I'll have to remember that one.

For my next trick, I'll try "emerge -vuD net-www/apache
dev-php/mod_php", as Jason suggested.

One thought did just occur to me.  I can't remember what I was
emerging, but I seem to recall fairly recently (in the past month or
so) emerging something and noticing that as a dependency it needed to
emerge version 1 of apache, so now I have both versions 1 and 2
installed side by side.  Could there be some sort of conflict going on
there?

In case this may be related, when I try to launch apache1
(/etc/init.d/apache start), I get rather a similar error, except this
time it fails to load mod_ruby.so.  In fact, I think that maybe
ruby/rails was what I was emerging when I noticed apache1 being
installed.

Could these items be related?

Ray tracing rules: http://ray-tracer.blogspot.com