When to Fork and When to Spoon

Michael Halcrow mike at halcrow.us
Tue Mar 7 11:37:33 MST 2006

On Tue, Mar 07, 2006 at 08:45:36AM -0700, Hans Fugal wrote:
> On Tue,  7 Mar 2006 at 07:23 -0800, Jonathan Ellis wrote:
> > I was in this situation once.  I did a total refactor of a sf
> > project (ImportScrubber) and the owner said, Great!  You're the
> > new maintainer!
> >
> > So be careful. :)
>
> Heh. Well I wouldn't really mind that, so long as it doesn't offend
> him in the process.

In Open Source Software development, you aren't going to last long if
you are always preoccupied with trying to keep from offending people.

<Agent Smith voice>It is inevitable</Agent Smith voice>.

I think Christoph Hellwig is a wonderful illustration of this
principle:

http://www.uwsg.iu.edu/hypermail/linux/kernel/0505.2/0455.html

:-)

Mike
                         Michael A. Halcrow

"Campus sidewalks never exist as the straightest line between two
points."
 - M. M. Johnston