When to Fork and When to Spoon

Hans Fugal hans at fugal.net
Tue Mar 7 07:46:11 MST 2006

Here's a philosophical question for you to chew on today.

I need an OSC library for ruby. OSC is OpenSoundControl[1] and it's
basically a nifty little lightweight transport-independent protocol. The
spec[2] is also lightweight and a decent programmer could implement it
in a few hours time. But laziness trumps even a few hours so I looked
for an existing lib and found one[3].

The existing lib is good. It has the basic functionality. But I had a
different usage pattern in mind than what the author provides. To get
it to behave the way I want it to, I would have to basically refactor
much of the 375-line codebase.

So here's the two-part dilemna. First, his design will be harder to
wrangle for my needs than a fresh design would be. So I'm faced with the
technical decision to rewrite and cannibalize, or refactor. Second, I'd
like to not fork but let this be a natural evolution of the code, but
how do you tactfully send a guy a total refactoring of his code?
Especially when his English and my Japanese aren't so good. OTOH
how do you tactfully fork?

I look forward to hearing everyone's thoughts on this.

1. http://www.cnmat.berkeley.edu/OpenSoundControl/
2. http://www.cnmat.berkeley.edu/OpenSoundControl/OSC-spec.html
3. http://www.funaba.org/en/ruby.html#osc

--