PHP broke :(

Shane Hathaway shane at hathawaymix.org
Mon Mar 6 22:47:57 MST 2006

Stephen Ward wrote:
> A couple of days ago, I plunged my gentoo box into the black hole of
> "emerge -e world".  (I was upgrading gcc.)  Now, unfortunately, I
> can't get apache (v2) to load mod_php anymore.  I can't say for
> certain that this problem is related to the gcc upgrade, but they did
> temporally coincide.
>
> At any rate, here is the error message I get:
>
>  * Apache2 has detected a syntax error in your configuration files:
> Syntax error on line 6 of /etc/apache2/modules.d/70_mod_php.conf:
> Cannot load /usr/lib/apache2/modules/libphp4.so into server:
> /usr/lib/apache2/modules/libphp4.so: undefined symbol: ap_signal

Have you run revdep-rebuild?  It searches all of the .so files, looking
for dependencies broken by an upgrade, then rebuilds the packages with
broken files.

Is "dev-php/php" in your world file (/var/lib/portage/world)?  If
"emerge -e world" didn't rebuild it, there's a good chance PHP is not
actually listed in your world file.  Note that dev-php/php seems to be
PHP4, while dev-lang/php is PHP5.  Make sure you're asking for the one
you want.

Use "emerge -p --depclean" to find out what packages would be skipped by
"emerge -e world".  On a clean system, "emerge -p --depclean" should
list no extraneous packages, but note that "emerge --depclean" is often
too zealous about uninstalling packages, so be careful.  Try "emerge -p
--depclean | grep -i php" in particular.

BTW, use dispatch-conf rather than etc-update.  dispatch-conf
automatically keeps a record of changes.

> Any ideas?  Help me, Obi-PLUG-Kenobi.  You're my only hope!

You might also be interested in http://utah-gentoo.org/ .

Shane