JBoss: Windows vs Linux and a Solaris boot issue

Ryan Bowman ryanlbowman at gmail.com
Mon Mar 6 12:11:26 MST 2006

On 3/6/06, Bryan Sant <bryan.sant at gmail.com> wrote:
> How is your client connecting to the JBoss server?  RMI-IIOP?  SOAP?
> XML-RPC?  How many connections are you dealing with -- 10,000
> connections per second, or 2 per 5 seconds?  What kind of data is
> being transmitted -- big/small?

RMI-IIOP. We have around 100-ish clients connected to the server,
people creating orders, adding items to orders, people printing
orders, picking orders, verifying each line item on the order, making
POs, etc...I don't really know how many connections, but I'd say lots.
As for data, some people are retreiving info about a single product,
anywhere from just name, price, qty in stock, to retreiving past POs
that ordered thousands and thousands of parts.

> How much faster is the Windows server?  (ie - The Linux server takes
> 10 seconds to do the same remote operation that takes 5 on Windows).

Some simple searches, such as retreive the product with a give product
number responding instantly on windows and sometimes being almost as
fast to taking 5 seconds.   Browsing purchase orders by vendor can
take a few seconds to retreive a list of vendors, where it's
instantaneous on windows.

> I'm assuming that you're working on 64-bit hardware (Opteron?).  Is
> this correct?
Dual Intel Xeons, actually.

> Are you running IPv6?
I think not.

> What is the output of these commands (run as root):
> uname -r
2.6.13-15-smp

0

> sysctl net.ipv4.tcp_keepalive_intvl