JBoss: Windows vs Linux and a Solaris boot issue

Bryan Sant bryan.sant at gmail.com
Mon Mar 6 11:39:42 MST 2006

On 3/6/06, Ryan Bowman <ryanlbowman at gmail.com> wrote:
> We're experiencing a strange performance issue where I work.  We run a
> Java swing client on windows machines.  When that client connects to a
> jboss server on a windows (Server 2003) machine it performs excellent,
> but when we run jboss on a linux machine (Suse 9.3, and Suse 10) it is
> noticibly slower.

How is your client connecting to the JBoss server?  RMI-IIOP?  SOAP?
XML-RPC?  How many connections are you dealing with -- 10,000
connections per second, or 2 per 5 seconds?  What kind of data is
being transmitted -- big/small?

How much faster is the Windows server?  (ie - The Linux server takes
10 seconds to do the same remote operation that takes 5 on Windows).

I'm assuming that you're working on 64-bit hardware (Opteron?).  Is
this correct?

Are you running IPv6?

What is the output of these commands (run as root):
uname -r
sysctl net.ipv4.tcp_tw_recycle
sysctl net.ipv4.tcp_keepalive_intvl
sysctl net.ipv4.tcp_fin_timeout