JBoss: Windows vs Linux and a Solaris boot issue

Ryan Bowman ryanlbowman at gmail.com
Mon Mar 6 10:28:22 MST 2006

We're experiencing a strange performance issue where I work.  We run a
Java swing client on windows machines.  When that client connects to a
jboss server on a windows (Server 2003) machine it performs excellent,
but when we run jboss on a linux machine (Suse 9.3, and Suse 10) it is
noticibly slower.  We have no idea why it would be slower on linux.
We've tried several things: for example, initially we installed the
64bit version of suse, but then tried switching to the 32bit version
(since we're not running 64bit versions of Windows).  We've only used
Sun's jvms so far, but we've thought about using IBMs, we've heard
they're faster, is that true?  We noticed that the bioses on theses
servers have strange windows related settings, like What OS will you
be running on this server? With choices Win XP, Win 9x, Win 2000, Win
ME, other.  (We really got screwed with this hardware, but that's
another story).  We've tried playing around with bios settings.
Anyway, does anyone know of anything we could do to improve
performance when using the linux server?
Oh yeah, why change if it performs better on windows?  The server has
been unpredictably (but somewhat expectedly) locking up - complete
lock up, even the three fingered salute doesn't revive it - every 10
days-ish for the last few weeks.
It was decided to try running jboss on Solaris, since maybe the jvm is
even more reliable on Sun's own os, however, after what appeared to me
to be a sucessful install the machine will not boot, it give the
message 'Could not read fdisk table'.  I think I might know what it
means, but I don't know what to do about it.  Any help?