Exchange alternative good enough for prime time?

Barry Roberts blr at robertsr.us
Sat Mar 4 20:25:07 MST 2006

On Sat, 2006-03-04 at 18:06 -0800, Carl Youngblood wrote:
> I'm wondering if it's possible to use completely open-source technologies
> speaking to Outlook to reproduce the experience of MS Exchange.  I have
> heard that you can use WebDAV and LDAP to replace the contact management and
> shared calendar features in Outlook, and of course you can use IMAP for
> email.  Has anyone taken all these steps and can report on their
> success/failure?  Are there any other client apps out there that are good
> enough for prime time that incorporate mail/calendar sharing/contact
> management all in one package and run on windows?  I have done some research
> and found some candidates, all of which are in a very alpha phase of
> development:
>
> Chandler
> http://chandler.osafoundation.org/
>
> Thunderbird with Lightning integrated cal/task features:
> http://wiki.mozilla.org/Calendar:Lightning
>
> Evolution for Windows
> http://evolution-win32.sourceforge.net/

You said you want something that works with outlook, but then you cite
other clients.  So I'm not sure if you're looking to replace outlook or
get a server that works with it, but here are some things I keep my eye
on:

http://mirror.open-xchange.org/ox/EN/community/
http://opengroupware.org/en/index.html
http://www.citadel.org/