Exchange alternative good enough for prime time?

Hans Fugal hans at fugal.net
Sat Mar 4 20:08:19 MST 2006

On Sat,  4 Mar 2006 at 18:06 -0800, Carl Youngblood wrote:
> It's strange to me that this lynchpin of the corporate world
> (collaboration/groupware) seems as yet to be untouchable by the open source
> community.  It seems that more difficult projects have already been
> developed and surpassed the popularity of proprietary alternatives, but this
> area is still in its infancy.  I would love to be proven wrong, but I've

I'll take a crack at speculating as to why this is. OSS scratches
itches, and the stereotypical OSS developer either doesn't have to use
collaboration/groupware software, or wishes he didn't have to. Writing
an app to do something as inherently annoying as that just rubs them the
wrong way, so they haven't done it.

Yes, the business types love it, and for good reason - it fits their way
of working. Suits do communication, that's almost their whole raison
d'etre. Stereotypical OSS developers endure it at best.

Yes, it is something that would be really great and bring instant fame
to whatever group gets it right. I think there are people starting to
work on it, and I think we'll see it happen before too long now.
Anybody's guess as to just when that is, and for as much as I care it
could have already happened and I just didn't notice. :)

> just gone through the process of changing our office over to Thunderbird
> because the CEO was interested in saving money and said they weren't using
> calendaring and contact features anyway, only to discover that they were
> using these features and actually just didn't know what they were called
> :-)

Oh, I hate it when that happens.

--
Hans Fugal ; http://hans.fugal.net