UUG MythTV Troubleshooting Meeting

Michael Halcrow mike at halcrow.us
Fri Mar 3 17:16:30 MST 2006

On Fri, Mar 03, 2006 at 04:41:57PM -0700, Scott Paul Robertson wrote:
> On Fri, Mar 03, 2006 at 05:33:26PM -0600, Michael Halcrow wrote:
> > And then there are issues with using an external channel changing
> > script. If you change the channel too quickly in succession, the
> > channel changing script contends with itself, so if you're trying to
> > go through channel 126 to get to channel 28, you may wind up at
> > channel 12286 instead (lockfile fixed that little problem).
> Out of curiousity, what service are you using that require the
> external channel changer, and how does your setup work?

I have a Dish 311 external satellite receiver; the only interface to
the box is via infrared. I bought an RS232 IR blaster for $15 and am
using that to emulate the remote control via LIRC.

One happy thing I discovered about LIRC is that independent kernel
modules need to be built for each LIRC device on the system. Since I
have an Hauppauge remote and an RS232 IR blaster, I had to compile two
modules and two daemons, renaming the kernel modules, libraries, and
executables so they don't conflict with one another.

Anyway, it works fine.

"Anyone who imagines that all fruits ripen at the same time as the
strawberries, knows nothing about grapes."
 - Philippus Paracelsus