Statistics Software

Justin Findlay jfindlay at
Fri Mar 3 16:09:31 MST 2006

On 3/3/06, Dennis <devel at> wrote:
> Well, I installed R and ran the demos.  It looks powerful but also has a
> big learning curve.  (Not yet sure I want to invest the time.)
> Salstat looks promising but it is very up front about how much it isn't
> done yet.  They haven't updated in since 2003 though.
> I'm looking to plug some vectors of numbers in and be able to find
> statistically significant portions via a few different test.  Chi2,
> student-T, anova stuff like that.

Have you looked at octave?  It may do what you want, and probably wont
incur too much learning if you're familliar with matlab.  There is a
bewildering plethora of OSS scientific/statistical/mathematical
libraries out there.  Many of them are written by scientists in the
field who are therefore unbeholden to the icky corporate greed that
spawns those expen$ive proprietary products.