need help on SATA

Stuart Jansen sjansen at buscaluz.org
Fri Mar 3 12:00:38 MST 2006

On Fri, 2006-03-03 at 11:39 -0600, Michael Halcrow wrote:
> I can think of several legitimate reasons why a client might want to
> stick with an older version of a distribution. Some involve custom
> apps built for a specific environment, certification (i.e., CAPP/EAL4)
> and contract requirements, overhead involved in migration to new
> versions (especially when the machines are not connected to an
> external network), and so forth.

I'm fully aware of that. However, admitting such would have weakened the
central focus of my message: if you don't already know that you're going
to have to roll your own kernel and provide your own support, you're
probably not up to the work required.

Frankly, if someone cares about CAPP/EAL4 they should also have someone
competent enough to support a distro past the vendor support period. I
see two reasons for requiring an old distro to run custom software: 1)
It's tried and tested. In that case, you should also be using tried and
tested hardware. 2) You're unwilling or unable to update the software.
In that case, it's time to invest some money and become willing or able.

I've basically met two types of people who need to run ancient distros.
The most common type is people whose employer is too cheap, they want to
use a vendor supported version of Linux without paying for Linux. The
other type is people (generally in manufacturing) for whom changing is
too disruptive. The latter type usually realize that they need to be
using old hardware. In fact, they embrace old hardware. (Ie. sure it'd
be nice to upgrade from token ring, but they can't do it until a major
problem takes the entire plant down.)

I admit I made assumptions about the person who asked the question. I
bet you I was spot on too.

Stuart Jansen              e-mail/jabber: sjansen at buscaluz.org
                           google talk:   stuart.jansen at gmail.com
* ^From:.*sjansen@