Longest. Ethernet. Ever.

Jason Holt jason at lunkwill.org
Wed Mar 1 11:28:19 MST 2006

On Wed, 1 Mar 2006, Michael L Torrie wrote:
> Our longest runs of Cat 5E are about 500 to 600 feet or more.  We run
> them at 100 Mbs with no problems whatsoever.  Note that the theoretical
[...]

Michael's totally right.  The specs are designed to be robust under the worst
possible conditions, and usually leave tons of room if you're willing to
experiment (or accept less-than-optimal results).  For instance, you can run
100Mbit ethernet over cat3 wires (or normal telephone wires (just the wires,
of course; make darn sure it's not connected to the phone system)).  Cables
with 4 pair of wires, like the cat5 variants, would support 2 separate
ethernet connections, since ethernet only uses 2 pair.  I even ran 10base2
(coax) ethernet over strings of 75 ohm cable-tv cables (again, after
disconnecting them from the actual cable tv feed) in one apartment, replete
with 50 ohm cables going from the wall to the computer.  I think we only got a
few megabits per second, but then, 10base2 is only 10 megabits anyway.

 						-J