Longest. Ethernet. Ever.

Jason Holt jason at lunkwill.org
Wed Mar 1 11:28:19 MST 2006

On Wed, 1 Mar 2006, Michael L Torrie wrote:
> Our longest runs of Cat 5E are about 500 to 600 feet or more.  We run
> them at 100 Mbs with no problems whatsoever.  Note that the theoretical

Michael's totally right.  The specs are designed to be robust under the worst
possible conditions, and usually leave tons of room if you're willing to
experiment (or accept less-than-optimal results).  For instance, you can run
100Mbit ethernet over cat3 wires (or normal telephone wires (just the wires,
of course; make darn sure it's not connected to the phone system)).  Cables
with 4 pair of wires, like the cat5 variants, would support 2 separate
ethernet connections, since ethernet only uses 2 pair.  I even ran 10base2
(coax) ethernet over strings of 75 ohm cable-tv cables (again, after
disconnecting them from the actual cable tv feed) in one apartment, replete
with 50 ohm cables going from the wall to the computer.  I think we only got a
few megabits per second, but then, 10base2 is only 10 megabits anyway.