Longest. Ethernet. Ever.

Michael L Torrie torriem at chem.byu.edu
Wed Mar 1 10:09:00 MST 2006

On Wed, 2006-03-01 at 07:19 -0700, Dave Smith wrote:
> Pluggers,
>
> What's the longest Cat5e cable you have run from your ethernet switch to
> a computer? I have a link that may require about 200 meters, but I know
> that 802.3 says 100 meters is the max. Repeaters of any kind are,
> unfortunately, not an option for this installation. Can I increase the
> distance by getting a GigE switch?

Our longest runs of Cat 5E are about 500 to 600 feet or more.  We run
them at 100 Mbs with no problems whatsoever.  Note that the theoretical
limits on the various ethernet speeds are based on the idea of a
collision domain.  If you have no collisions on the link (ie computer to
switch) then you can run much longer runs than the spec says, as long as
your signal doesn't degrade very much (cat6 with its random twists
should allow you to go even farther).  Note that if we were to plug a
hub unto one end of our long run and try to hook more than one computer
to it, it would fail.  So as long as we use one wire (2 pairs) per
computer and ban hubs, it will continue to work reliably for us.

Michael