Publishing flamebait [Fwd: Pragmatic Bookshelf releases "From Java To Ruby"]

Brad Midgley bmidgley at xmission.com
Thu Jun 29 23:47:38 MDT 2006

Guys

> Rails uses a share-nothing architecture, just like LAMP

I wrote a rails app and looking back, I think a big piece of the
performance thing is in wise use of :include in object fetches (if you
do not use :include, then rails will never do joins and will always make
separate queries in each table). It's all too easy to code up something
that does no sql joins at all.

At railsconf, the party line is that you need an IDE if you use java
because of the complexity of the java web frameworks. I still like
having an IDE even with rails though.

It will be interesting to see what happens as grails matures. Grails
makes the choice of java web toolkits for you and removes most of the
pain in using them by using the groovy language to pull it together. It
should be a decent compromise that gives us access to the java class
library and deployment environment with a nice dynamic language.

Brad