Publishing flamebait [Fwd: Pragmatic Bookshelf releases "FromJava To Ruby"]

Ross Werner ross at indessed.com
Thu Jun 29 20:54:18 MDT 2006

On Thu, 29 Jun 2006, Charles Curley wrote:
>> That said, I think it's possible to write a decent vi plugin for Eclipse
>> that gives you the best of both worlds.
>
> There may be another way to handle this. You can set emacs to reload a
> buffer if its file changes. I found that very useful when working in
> Visual Studio, way back when (don't ask), and for sundry other
> purposes. If you can set Eclipse and vi to do the same, you can toggle
> between the two as needed.

You can, and I do that on occasion when I need to make a lot of "text
editing" changes. However, what I *really* want is the ability to move
around text with hjkl and edit with the usual vim keystrokes *and* have
auto-complete, syntax highlighting, refactoring, automatic building, and
all the other niceties of Eclipse *while* I'm editing vimmishly. (Of
course vim has some of those features, either built-in or available as
plugins, but I'm talking about fully integrated goodness.) That's also why
I'm not really interested in simply being able to embed vim inside of my
Eclipse window.

 	~ Ross