Publishing flamebait [Fwd: Pragmatic Bookshelf releases "FromJava To Ruby"]

Hans Fugal hans at
Thu Jun 29 14:20:58 MDT 2006

On Thu, 29 Jun 2006 at 13:30 -0600, Michael L Torrie wrote:
> On Thu, 2006-06-29 at 13:21 -0600, Carl Youngblood wrote:
> > On 6/29/06, Michael L Torrie <torriem at> wrote:
> > > Dr. Scott Woodfield in the BYU CS dept is one person who will blow
> > > anyone out of the water using vim.  Watching what he can do with vim
> > > amazes me.  Honestly, eclipse would just slow him down (although he
> > > might be using eclipse for nice build-tool integration these days; I
> > > don't know).
> >
> > Would you be willing to do a screencast of Dr. Woodfield's vim magic
> > sometime?  That would be great.  I bet a half-hour session with audio
> > would easily be long enough to learn all sorts of awesome tricks.
> The problem is if you ask him how he does something, he has to think
> about it for about 5 minutes as it's all in his muscle memory.  I doubt
> half the keystrokes even reach is brain; the spinal cord just knows what
> to do!  I have heard him say on occasion that part of the speed comes
> from the dual-mode operation of vim, and due to simple, single-character
> commands (that can be modified by numbers and other commands) that
> combine to really make text editing fly.

The keypresses could be recorded and a transcript provided (or maybe
even scrolling along the bottom of the screencast. The real trick would
be giving an editing task sufficiently broad to excercise most of the
useful commands.

Hans Fugal ;
    -- Johann Sebastian Bach