Publishing flamebait [Fwd: Pragmatic Bookshelf releases "FromJava To Ruby"]

Michael L Torrie torriem at chem.byu.edu
Thu Jun 29 13:30:27 MDT 2006

On Thu, 2006-06-29 at 13:21 -0600, Carl Youngblood wrote:
> On 6/29/06, Michael L Torrie <torriem at chem.byu.edu> wrote:
> > Dr. Scott Woodfield in the BYU CS dept is one person who will blow
> > anyone out of the water using vim.  Watching what he can do with vim
> > amazes me.  Honestly, eclipse would just slow him down (although he
> > might be using eclipse for nice build-tool integration these days; I
> > don't know).
>
> Would you be willing to do a screencast of Dr. Woodfield's vim magic
> sometime?  That would be great.  I bet a half-hour session with audio
> would easily be long enough to learn all sorts of awesome tricks.

The problem is if you ask him how he does something, he has to think
about it for about 5 minutes as it's all in his muscle memory.  I doubt
half the keystrokes even reach is brain; the spinal cord just knows what
to do!  I have heard him say on occasion that part of the speed comes
from the dual-mode operation of vim, and due to simple, single-character
commands (that can be modified by numbers and other commands) that
combine to really make text editing fly.