Publishing flamebait [Fwd: Pragmatic Bookshelf releases "FromJava To Ruby"]

Ross Werner ross at indessed.com
Thu Jun 29 10:21:11 MDT 2006

On Thu, 29 Jun 2006, Michael L Torrie wrote:
>> To really appreciate the benefits of vim/emacs you have to see someone
>> really proficient in doing the taks with that editor at work. It works
>> both ways. Are IDEs easier to plod through than vim? yes.
>
> Dr. Scott Woodfield in the BYU CS dept is one person who will blow
> anyone out of the water using vim.  Watching what he can do with vim
> amazes me.  Honestly, eclipse would just slow him down (although he
> might be using eclipse for nice build-tool integration these days; I
> don't know).

I firmly believe that one can be very, very proficient with vim and yet
still prefer Eclipse for Java programming. I don't believe I'm at the Hans
Fugal level of vim proficiency, but I think I have a good chance of being
in the top 10 of pluggers. Eclipse *does* slow me down in terms of text
editing tasks, but I find that all of the other tools it provides more
than makes up for that slowness.

That said, I think it's possible to write a decent vi plugin for Eclipse
that gives you the best of both worlds. I started the task and got far
enough to prove to myself that it's possible, but unfortunately I've
become too busy to pursue it in the last few months. I'll have to pull out
the code again and get cracking. :-)

 	~ Ross