Publishing flamebait [Fwd: Pragmatic Bookshelf releases "FromJava To Ruby"]

Hans Fugal hans at fugal.net
Thu Jun 29 10:18:57 MDT 2006

On Thu, 29 Jun 2006 at 09:54 -0600, Michael L Torrie wrote:
> On Thu, 2006-06-29 at 07:30 -0600, Hans Fugal wrote:
> > vim+cscope. It's got a small learning curve that is easily alleviated
> > with a cheat sheet and has the benefit of not requiring mousing.
>
> Can cscope  work with any language besides C and C++?  My understanding
> is that refactoring in eclipse is usually implemented (by the plugin)
> for every language that you can use eclipse for.  Python, PHP, Java, C/C
> ++, etc.

cscope is limited to C/C++, yes. It might partially work in Java too.
Someone had to write the code in either case, you don't get free
language-aware features just because you call your editor an IDE.

I do see value in IDEs, and in hindsight we wish that vim/emacs were
more embeddable so that the first round of OSS IDEs were wrappers around
Real Editors and we wouldn't have this flamewar. (actually maybe emacs
is embeddable and embedded, I don't know) Vim is on the road to being
embeddable, I hope it gets there soon. BTW, vim7 has a lot of new
IDE-ish features. I'm sure we'll see a merging of all these things into
a few really good solutions, and I'm pretty sure vim (or a vim clone)
will be at the center of at least one.

> cscope is one of those rare gems left to us by SCO.

Speaking of SCO...

--
Hans Fugal ; http://hans.fugal.net

    -- Johann Sebastian Bach