Publishing flamebait [Fwd: Pragmatic Bookshelf releases "FromJava To Ruby"]

Ross Werner ross at indessed.com
Thu Jun 29 10:15:54 MDT 2006

On Thu, 29 Jun 2006, Hans Fugal wrote:
>>> And I don't care what you say, Java IS a memory hog. I don't
>>> need some web article to debunk what I can see day in and day out on top
>>> and ps.
> extra 11, and you still have 45m which ties for top RAM user with
> thunderbird, and they're both 20MB more than my biggest rails app. Now,
> I admit it looks like openoffice isn't running...

I'd have to agree that Java is typically more memory-hungry than other
applications--however, in my experience that's only a one-time cost. In
other words, for me to run Eclipse comfortably I need half a gig of RAM
(a gig if I hope to run several other non-Java applications without
swapping). But I can run two or three more copies of Eclipse with very
little overhead above that, as well as half a dozen other Java apps. The
intial memory cost to have something running in a JVM seems to be rather
high, but once you hit that point everything else seems to be very
comparable to non-Java applications in terms of memory usage.

 	~ Ross