Publishing flamebait [Fwd: Pragmatic Bookshelf releases "FromJava To Ruby"]

Michael L Torrie torriem at chem.byu.edu
Thu Jun 29 09:54:19 MDT 2006

On Thu, 2006-06-29 at 07:30 -0600, Hans Fugal wrote:
> vim+cscope. It's got a small learning curve that is easily alleviated
> with a cheat sheet and has the benefit of not requiring mousing.

Can cscope  work with any language besides C and C++?  My understanding
is that refactoring in eclipse is usually implemented (by the plugin)
for every language that you can use eclipse for.  Python, PHP, Java, C/C
++, etc.

cscope is one of those rare gems left to us by SCO.

> To really appreciate the benefits of vim/emacs you have to see someone
> really proficient in doing the taks with that editor at work. It works
> both ways. Are IDEs easier to plod through than vim? yes.

Dr. Scott Woodfield in the BYU CS dept is one person who will blow
anyone out of the water using vim.  Watching what he can do with vim
amazes me.  Honestly, eclipse would just slow him down (although he
might be using eclipse for nice build-tool integration these days; I
don't know).