Publishing flamebait [Fwd: Pragmatic Bookshelf releases "FromJava To Ruby"]

Hans Fugal hans at fugal.net
Thu Jun 29 07:30:25 MDT 2006

On Wed, 28 Jun 2006 at 21:01 -0700, Ross Werner wrote:
> As far as the benefits of an IDE (like Eclipse), I'll second the notion
> that you just have to see it in action. I'm not sure what exactly emacs
> can do, but vim can't hop through a dozen files following the flow of code
> execution just by clicking on method names. If I want to see all the files
> that call a certain public method, with vim I'd likely have to grep and
> hope I don't get any false hits.

vim+cscope. It's got a small learning curve that is easily alleviated
with a cheat sheet and has the benefit of not requiring mousing.

To really appreciate the benefits of vim/emacs you have to see someone
really proficient in doing the taks with that editor at work. It works
both ways. Are IDEs easier to plod through than vim? yes.

--
Hans Fugal ; http://hans.fugal.net

    -- Johann Sebastian Bach