Publishing flamebait [Fwd: Pragmatic Bookshelf releases "FromJava To Ruby"]

Hans Fugal hans at
Thu Jun 29 07:30:25 MDT 2006

On Wed, 28 Jun 2006 at 21:01 -0700, Ross Werner wrote:
> As far as the benefits of an IDE (like Eclipse), I'll second the notion
> that you just have to see it in action. I'm not sure what exactly emacs
> can do, but vim can't hop through a dozen files following the flow of code
> execution just by clicking on method names. If I want to see all the files
> that call a certain public method, with vim I'd likely have to grep and
> hope I don't get any false hits.

vim+cscope. It's got a small learning curve that is easily alleviated
with a cheat sheet and has the benefit of not requiring mousing.

To really appreciate the benefits of vim/emacs you have to see someone
really proficient in doing the taks with that editor at work. It works
both ways. Are IDEs easier to plod through than vim? yes.

Hans Fugal ;
    -- Johann Sebastian Bach