Publishing flamebait [Fwd: Pragmatic Bookshelf releases "FromJava To Ruby"]

Charles Curley charlescurley at
Wed Jun 28 22:43:58 MDT 2006

On Wed, Jun 28, 2006 at 09:01:00PM -0700, Ross Werner wrote:
> On Wed, 28 Jun 2006, "Jacob Fugal" wrote:

> As far as the benefits of an IDE (like Eclipse), I'll second the
> notion that you just have to see it in action. I'm not sure what
> exactly emacs can do, but vim can't hop through a dozen files
> following the flow of code execution just by clicking on method
> names. If I want to see all the files that call a certain public
> method, with vim I'd likely have to grep and hope I don't get any
> false hits.

I know Emacs has this facility; it's called etags. I thought there was
support for tags in vim, and possibly for good old vi.

> With Eclipse it's a simple key combination and never any false
> results. If I change the name of a class or a method or a variable,
> Eclipse will change every reference in the entire project.

That's cute but hazardous. Suppose I only want to change the name of a
method, and then write a new method with the old name? Done that. Will
it leave overloaded methods of the same name alone?

Emacs has a search and replace facility (regexs if you want 'em) that
works with tags, so it has almost the same facility.