Publishing flamebait [Fwd: Pragmatic Bookshelf releases "FromJava To Ruby"]

Bryan Sant bryan.sant at gmail.com
Wed Jun 28 18:13:26 MDT 2006

On 6/28/06, Hans Fugal <hans at fugal.net> wrote:
> On Wed, 28 Jun 2006 at 16:53 -0600, Bryan Sant wrote:
> I'll give you that Java is fast enough once started, but startup time is
> abysmal.

What version of Java are you running?  The 1.5 JVM starts up in milliseconds.

And I don't care what you say, Java IS a memory hog. I don't
> need some web article to debunk what I can see day in and day out on top
> and ps.

That's EXACTLY the problem that the article debunks.  top and ps are
not correctly reporting the amount of physical memory used by the java
process.  Files that are memory mapped by the JVM (which are many --
all the class files, the java runtime class library (40MB), etc.) show
up as memory used by top and ps.  However these files are not
necessarily loaded into physical memory.  ps is wrong.

> I know how to read my top and ps output, and I know the pitfalls. I know
> about memory mapping and shared memory and all that. It is all taken
> into consideration in my statements above.

So, you're subtracting up to 40MB from the ps output?  Ok, well, I
guess I stand corrected.

-Bryan