Publishing flamebait [Fwd: Pragmatic Bookshelf releases "FromJava To Ruby"]

Hans Fugal hans at fugal.net
Wed Jun 28 17:26:02 MDT 2006

On Wed, 28 Jun 2006 at 16:53 -0600, Bryan Sant wrote:
> Java is neither slow, nor a memory hog.  The slow reputation is pretty

I'll give you that Java is fast enough once started, but startup time is
abysmal. And I don't care what you say, Java IS a memory hog. I don't
need some web article to debunk what I can see day in and day out on top
and ps. I fight at least once or twice a week with RAM issues on my box,
and this I know for sure: life would be so much easier if I just broke
down and bought more RAM, I should really run about half as many
services, my wife really shouldn't leave firefox, openoffice, and
thunderbird open all the time (unless we get more RAM), and the one java
program I run is always #1 in memory usage unless firefox is on one of
its RAM kicks.

Is that one program a memory hog? Well, maybe. But when I compare
empirical evidence from other java programs I've run and monitored in
the past I'm more likely to blame java.

> much debunked.  The memory hog reputation still needs some light on
> it.  Read here:
> http://weblogs.java.net/blog/xiaobinlu/archive/2005/08/perception_real_1.html

I know how to read my top and ps output, and I know the pitfalls. I know
about memory mapping and shared memory and all that. It is all taken
into consideration in my statements above.

--
Hans Fugal ; http://hans.fugal.net

    -- Johann Sebastian Bach