Publishing flamebait [Fwd: Pragmatic Bookshelf releases "FromJava To Ruby"]

Bryan Sant bryan.sant at gmail.com
Wed Jun 28 16:53:23 MDT 2006

On 6/28/06, Gregory Hill <Gregory_Hill at tni.com> wrote:
> So, for standalone software, yeah, a threading model is needed.  But,
> for web development (for which Ruby was designed, if I'm not mistaken),
> the threading would be beneficial, but not totally necessary.  The main

Yes, a multi process solution would utilize all CPUs/cores as well.  I
was commenting in regards to the lack of true theads in ruby.  A
single ruby process wouldn't be able to use more than a single
CPU/core even though it has "green" threads.

> savings would be the memory footprint, because resources cannot be
> shared between processes.  However, memory footprint concerns from a
> Java developer seem kind of odd, since Java is a memory hog from what
> I've seen.

Java is neither slow, nor a memory hog.  The slow reputation is pretty
much debunked.  The memory hog reputation still needs some light on
it.  Read here:
http://weblogs.java.net/blog/xiaobinlu/archive/2005/08/perception_real_1.html

-Bryan