Publishing flamebait [Fwd: Pragmatic Bookshelf releases "From Java To Ruby"]

Bryan Sant bryan.sant at gmail.com
Wed Jun 28 16:41:32 MDT 2006

On 6/28/06, Charles Curley <charlescurley at charlescurley.com> wrote:
> On Wed, Jun 28, 2006 at 02:30:06PM -0600, Bryan Sant wrote:
> Serious question, not flame bait: what is lacking from Emacs that a
> "modern" IDE would have? I'm mildly intrigued by Eclipse, but wonder
> what it has that would be worth trading in my expertise in Emacs to
> get.

Unfortunately, it needs to be seen/experienced to really take in the
vast benefits.  I can produce a bullet list of fancy sounding
features, but they are meaningless unless you see them applied while
writing real code.  The closest thing I can think of would be listing
out the benefits of bash to someone who's only used bourne shell.  You
could talk about auto-completion, aliases, auto-completing command
arguments, history, command-line text substitution, and all the
readline lib benefits, etc., etc.  But until you see someone cruise
around with bash, you won't really know what you're missing.

Watching someone who is proficient with their IDE write code is
something to behold.  The general-purpose features of vim or emacs are
no match for the intimate java language feature exploitation that
Eclipse or NetBeans provide.

On the other hand, vim and emacs are good for many, many things.
While Eclipse and NetBeans are basically one-trick ponies (well
eclipse is a 'platform' and has other language support).

-Bryan