Publishing flamebait [Fwd: Pragmatic Bookshelf releases "FromJava To Ruby"]

Jacob Fugal lukfugl at gmail.com
Wed Jun 28 16:20:09 MDT 2006

On 6/28/06, Grant Shipley <gshipley at gmail.com> wrote:
> On 6/28/06, Jacob Fugal <lukfugl at gmail.com> wrote:
> > You forgot getting and putting the remote file in your Eclipse
> > version.
> No I didnt.  I hot deploy the jsp out to tomcat.

Well, you didn't mention it, unless it was implied in "Click save". If
so, I apologize. :)

> >You also forgot that I'd likely have a symlink to
> > /usr/local/dev/tomcat-www/node1/webapps/wapps/myapp/ as myapp in my
> > home directory, so I don't need to spend 5-10 seconds typing that
> > whole path out.
>
> Agree.
>
> > So now the favor is to the console, but still only a
> > few seconds.
>
> This makes them almost equal.

Exactly. Then again, they were "almost equal" when Eclipse was in the
"lead" as well.

> > But what if I need to make a urgent fix from my SSH enabled phone/PDA?
>
> Then you are not developing "enterprise" level production systems that
> need to go through a proper QA cycle with load testing and integration
> testing.

True. And I do understand (and yearn for) the proper QA cycle and all
that. But sometimes the bosses say "We're losing $X,000 each minute
while this is broken... fix it!" You patch it quick, then put the
solid fix through QA. There's room for both.

> > Greg's point is that *if* a language is not amenable to being edited
> > within a text editor, there is a valid limitation imposed on when and
> > how you can edit the code.
>
> And yes, of course you can edit java files with VI.  I did it for a
> number of years before eclipse was released.

And I didn't say you couldn't. In fact, thought the thread did start
with Java, I was thinking more of a different technology (which shall
remain nameless) I'm forced into using right now that *can't* be
edited outside it's bloated "IDE", since there's no plain text
representation. The horror. But anyways, my point was a general one,
not about Java particularly.

Jacob Fugal