Publishing flamebait [Fwd: Pragmatic Bookshelf releases "From Java To Ruby"]

Barry Roberts blr at robertsr.us
Wed Jun 28 16:09:28 MDT 2006

On Wed, Jun 28, 2006 at 03:41:27PM -0600, Charles Curley wrote:
> Serious question, not flame bait: what is lacking from Emacs that a
> "modern" IDE would have? I'm mildly intrigued by Eclipse, but wonder
> what it has that would be worth trading in my expertise in Emacs to
> get.

I use eclipse for re-factoring and debugging.  Its lack of emacs
keystroke compatibility drives me nuts, though.

The big advantage of eclipse, IMO, is that it includes a BUNCH of
stuff out-of-the-box.  To make emacs an IDE, I have to install jdee
and all its dependencies, color-theme.el, my .emacs with a bunch of
c-add-style, add-hook, and global-set-key calls, etc.  The standard
mail, calendar, version control, diff/merge tools and games that are
normally available with emacs probably seemed like a lot at some
point, but discovering what's available and installing it is a major
headache for most people I've introduced to emacs.

Barry