Publishing flamebait [Fwd: Pragmatic Bookshelf releases "From Java To Ruby"]

Hans Fugal hans at fugal.net
Wed Jun 28 16:08:20 MDT 2006

On Wed, 28 Jun 2006 at 15:33 -0600, Barry Roberts wrote:
> On Wed, Jun 28, 2006 at 03:14:52PM -0600, Hans Fugal wrote:
> >
> > I'm also not very good at enterprise-level performance testing/thinking,
> > but I'll venture that insofar as rails is not hindered by the ruby
> > threads implementation it's by working around the limitations. What are
> > the limitations, exactly?
>
> Well, first, how do you use all the processors on a multiprocessor
> system?

Yes, good point. As Jacob pointed out it's not really relevant for web
serving, but good point.

> J2EE (and ASP.Net, I THINK) are heavily multi-threaded because it's
> convenient.  A request can come in to the container, and it can just
> look up the associated session information and hand the request off to
> any available thread since they share process memory.  Since Java and
> CLR use native threads, this automatically uses all the processors in
> the machine.

I do have lots to say about shared memory and parallel programming.
Suffice it to say, the above is a very good argument against J2EE in my
mind.

> I guess rails could be tightly tied to APR shared memory that helps
> apache modules work together even in different processes, but I doubt
> that's the case.  I don't know how rails ties to apache or if it does,
> but I suspect it would be a real pain on Windows where the default MPM
> is threaded.

Rails mostly doesn't tie to apache. I use rails through lighttpd and
fastcgi, going through apache first using mod_proxy.  Again I don't
think that shared memory is necessarily a good thing so I don't see this
as a disadvantage.

> I'm not saying threads are the only way to make a web-based framework
> scalable (I was kinda hoping the rails folks had come up with
> something clever).  But they are handy enough that they seem to be
> used quite often to make it easy to program in the stateless http
> world.

I propose that they did come up with something clever. It's called
ActiveRecord.

--
Hans Fugal ; http://hans.fugal.net

    -- Johann Sebastian Bach