Publishing flamebait [Fwd: Pragmatic Bookshelf releases "From Java To Ruby"]

Barry Roberts blr at robertsr.us
Wed Jun 28 15:59:35 MDT 2006

esOn Wed, Jun 28, 2006 at 03:38:56PM -0600, Bryan Sant wrote:

> You really need to use a modern IDE to understand.  KDevelop is nice,
> but it is basically kate (another text editor).  There is so much more
> than just text editing when it comes to code.  Code is more than text,
> code is structured.  You can refactor code, browse through
> methods/classes like hyperlinks, inspect class heirarchies,
> auto-format code, auto-complie and validate as you type, apply bulk
> manipulations, auto-generate common code snippets/patterns, etc., etc.

All of which can be done in emacs for many languages.  AFAIK, the best
refactoring is not FOSS, and you use hotkeys instead of hyperlinks
(clicks) to navigate like in Gel or Eclipse.  My RSI gets worse the
more I fondle rodents.  Guess which approach I prefer.

> And debugging your code with a good visual debugger is night and day
> more productive than using a command-line debugger.  It's too bad you
> weren't at my Eclipse PLUG presentation.  I could have show you the
> endless benefits of a good IDE.

Ok, I use eclipse or jswat to debug.  Emacs is behind on that one.

Barry