Publishing flamebait [Fwd: Pragmatic Bookshelf releases "FromJava To Ruby"]

Grant Shipley gshipley at gmail.com
Wed Jun 28 15:58:44 MDT 2006

On 6/28/06, Jacob Fugal <lukfugl at gmail.com> wrote:
> You forgot getting and putting the remote file in your Eclipse
> version.
No I didnt.  I hot deploy the jsp out to tomcat.

>You also forgot that I'd likely have a symlink to
> /usr/local/dev/tomcat-www/node1/webapps/wapps/myapp/ as myapp in my
> home directory, so I don't need to spend 5-10 seconds typing that
> whole path out.

Agree.

> So now the favor is to the console, but still only a
> few seconds.

This makes them almost equal.

> But what if I need to make a urgent fix from my SSH enabled phone/PDA?

Then you are not developing "enterprise" level production systems that
need to go through a proper QA cycle with load testing and integration
testing.

> Greg's point is that *if* a language is not amenable to being edited
> within a text editor, there is a valid limitation imposed on when and
> how you can edit the code.

And yes, of course you can edit java files with VI.  I did it for a
number of years before eclipse was released.