Publishing flamebait [Fwd: Pragmatic Bookshelf releases "FromJava To Ruby"]

Bryan Sant bryan.sant at gmail.com
Wed Jun 28 15:11:52 MDT 2006

On 6/28/06, Gregory Hill <Gregory_Hill at tni.com> wrote:
> While maybe not up to the functionality level of a Java IDE, Ruby,
> Python, Perl, and PHP have Komodo, which is a pretty decent IDE for
> those languages, IMO.  But it does cost $500 for a pro license (home use
> is $30 last I checked).  Do I have a point?  Not really.  I guess it's

$30 ain't bad.  Heck, $500 ain't bad considering VS.NET is $2,500.

> that there is an IDE for those languages that is good, and when it comes
> down to it, you can still program in them effectively in vi or emacs.
> With Java, you are pretty much tied to the IDE to do much of anything,
> which is not a bad thing if you're going to be making standalone

I'd agree.  To be productive with Java you MUST learn and use a good IDE.

> software.  For web development, I'd rather be able to log in to the
> server on a shell, code a fix, and be done in less time than loading up

This is true.  Not only do you have to launch the IDE and make code
changes locally, but you have to compile the file(s) and re-deploy the
.class or .jar files to the server.  Dynamic non-complied langs
definitely have an advantage there.

But typically you have the entire java app running on your local dev
box, so development and debugging is quick.  Development and testing
on a dev box before deploying a change to production is a good
practice anyway.  Also the JVM supports remote debugging and
hot-deployment of code.  So I can connect to a remote JVM running on a
server and step through the running code line by line.  Or I can make
a code change, and the binary difference is loaded into the remote JVM
instantly.  No redeploy, no restart.  Instant running-code
replacement.  Again -- I wouldn't recommend doing this on a production
server.  It's completely possible, but makes for a haphazard
environment.

> Eclipse, when such a scenario is needed.  When it isn't, I've got Komodo
> which loads faster and is more responsive than Eclipse, although

Eclipse 3.2 is significantly faster.  The 3.2 final will release on
Friday.  NetBeans (which is Swing based) is more responsive on Linux
than Eclipse (which uses GTK+).

> probably not nearly as feature-rich.  Anyway, I'm rambling, and probably
> dangerously close to invoking a language war, so I'll end now.

Oh no.  Them's fightn' words.  It's go-time now!  Ahhh!!!  :-P

-Bryan