Publishing flamebait [Fwd: Pragmatic Bookshelf releases "From Java To Ruby"]

Shane Hathaway shane at hathawaymix.org
Wed Jun 28 15:06:57 MDT 2006

Bryan Sant wrote:
> 1) Java development, debugging, deployment, and management are
> superior to ruby if you actually use a modern IDE (which are both free
> and OSS, so there's no excuse not to use one).

If you haven't tried Ruby, how can you know this?

> 2) Ruby is an extremely slow runtime right now.  I'm sure it will be
> bearable in the future.  I'll look at it then.

Most software doesn't need to be very fast.

> 4) Bruce Tate is a text-editor guy.

And you believe he has never tried an IDE?  That seems doubtful.

 From what I've seen, some developers are more successful with an IDE
and some developers are more successful with a text editor.  I'd like to
understand this mystery.  I don't think "modern IDE is better" is the
correct answer.

Shane