Publishing flamebait [Fwd: Pragmatic Bookshelf releases "From Java To Ruby"]

Barry Roberts blr at robertsr.us
Wed Jun 28 15:05:23 MDT 2006

On Wed, Jun 28, 2006 at 02:24:26PM -0600, Hans Fugal wrote:
> That's not what I get from the paragraphs you've posted at all.

Nicely done.

> Please don't paint us Rubyists as Java hatemongers out there to destroy
> the good name of Java. It's simply not true. Some in the Java community
> are threatened by Ruby, and things can get ugly when an 800 pound
> gorilla feels threatened, but that's just the way things are.

Since you're a self-proclaimed rubyist, I'll ask the question that's
been burning in my mind, and the reason I haven't done anything in
ruby yet.  I currently program in java, python, and perl.

How can you have a real enterprise-level web-based application
framework in a language without real threads?  Are all Ruby app
servers on single-processor machines?

I'm not trying to start a flame war, I really just want to know.
Although, I suppose creating any kind of spark in the tinderbox that
is plug could probably be considered flamebait, I am really interested
in how rails is scalable without native threads.

Reluctantly searching for asbestos suit,
Barry Roberts