Publishing flamebait [Fwd: Pragmatic Bookshelf releases "From Java To Ruby"]

Justin R Findlay justin at jfindlay.us
Wed Jun 28 14:48:24 MDT 2006

On Wed, Jun 28, 2006 at 02:30:06PM -0600, Bryan Sant wrote:
> 1) Java development, debugging, deployment, and management are
> superior to ruby if you actually use a modern IDE (which are both free
> and OSS, so there's no excuse not to use one).

That sounds kind of biased.  Java as far as I know isn't OSS anyway.

> 3) Anyone using C# is in exactly the same boat as Java developers.
> Writing C# by hand in vi or emacs would suck beyond believe.  Thus C#
> sucks right?  Wrong.  Enter VS.NET or SharpDeveloper.  All of the
> sudden, your productivity metrics are off the charts compared to using
> a straight text editor.  C# would look totally worthless compared to
> ruby if you could only use a text editor.

Is that truly disadvantaged, to have your language crippled without an
IDE?  Perhaps this is an advantage of Ruby.

I can't say much for IDEs since I've only used kdevelop to make some C++
projects, but I find that when I write code it involves a lot of
creating and manipulating of text.  I've never found a better interface
for that than vim.  Even the best IDEs could hardlay add to anything to
the power of vim's text editing with it's builtin regex and extensive ex
library of commands, macros, tab completion+tab pages, extensive syntax
highlighting, code folding, extensibility, etc., so there must be
something else you are thinking of.

Justin