Publishing flamebait [Fwd: Pragmatic Bookshelf releases "FromJava To Ruby"]

Gregory Hill Gregory_Hill at tni.com
Wed Jun 28 14:42:36 MDT 2006

> I don't dismiss what he has to say -- I'd be saying the same thing if
> I developed software with emacs instead of a modern IDE.  A few of my
> points on the subject would be:

While maybe not up to the functionality level of a Java IDE, Ruby,
Python, Perl, and PHP have Komodo, which is a pretty decent IDE for
those languages, IMO.  But it does cost $500 for a pro license (home use
is $30 last I checked).  Do I have a point?  Not really.  I guess it's
that there is an IDE for those languages that is good, and when it comes
down to it, you can still program in them effectively in vi or emacs.
With Java, you are pretty much tied to the IDE to do much of anything,
which is not a bad thing if you're going to be making standalone
software.  For web development, I'd rather be able to log in to the
server on a shell, code a fix, and be done in less time than loading up
Eclipse, when such a scenario is needed.  When it isn't, I've got Komodo
which loads faster and is more responsive than Eclipse, although
probably not nearly as feature-rich.  Anyway, I'm rambling, and probably
dangerously close to invoking a language war, so I'll end now.

Greg