Publishing flamebait [Fwd: Pragmatic Bookshelf releases "From Java To Ruby"]

Bryan Sant bryan.sant at gmail.com
Wed Jun 28 14:30:06 MDT 2006

On 6/28/06, Gabriel Gunderson <gabe at gundy.org> wrote:
> I thought this email was kinda funny (from the Pragmatic Bookshelf) and
> wanted to share it.  This is the *one* book you must have in the
> trenches of a Ruby VS Java flame war.
>
> I love how the first paragraph suggests that Java prevents your team
> form being productive, is inflexible, hard to maintain and is not the
> best tool for the job.  I'm not saying those things *are* or *are not*
> true; I'm just saying I think it's funny to sell a book as interested in
> tearing down Java as it is building up Ruby.
>
> BTW, I don't use Java or Ruby.

Nothing new.

Bruce Tate is a big Ruby fan (actually he's a big smalltalk fan, and
ruby is much closer to smalltalk than java is).  Bruce Tate has also
published many Java books and knows what he's talking about when it
comes to Java.  So you can't just say, "Well, he's just a
script-kiddie idiot who doesn't know Java well and thus he attacks
it."  Not so.  No one can argue that Bruce doesn't understand Java
extremely well.

I don't dismiss what he has to say -- I'd be saying the same thing if
I developed software with emacs instead of a modern IDE.  A few of my
points on the subject would be:

1) Java development, debugging, deployment, and management are
superior to ruby if you actually use a modern IDE (which are both free
and OSS, so there's no excuse not to use one).
2) Ruby is an extremely slow runtime right now.  I'm sure it will be
bearable in the future.  I'll look at it then.
3) Anyone using C# is in exactly the same boat as Java developers.
Writing C# by hand in vi or emacs would suck beyond believe.  Thus C#
sucks right?  Wrong.  Enter VS.NET or SharpDeveloper.  All of the
sudden, your productivity metrics are off the charts compared to using
a straight text editor.  C# would look totally worthless compared to
ruby if you could only use a text editor.
4) Bruce Tate is a text-editor guy.

-Bryan